Last night as I prepared to retire, I opened my electronic device to social media to check on last weeks events in the lives of my friends and family. A friend of mine, whose daughter had, many years ago, attended my daycare facility, posted a sweet comment referencing an article I had written. Her daughter is now a married woman. It amazes me how quickly children grow into adults and how quickly I grew into a senior.
Earlier, I had decided to attend a seminar about self-reliance. Thankfully, self-reliance is not one of my struggles, however, I am often asked to help others obtain this worthwhile quest, and therefore find it advantageous to continually seek new information toward its fulfillment. I asked my husband to accompany me and as we prepared to leave our home, we briefly discussed a beautiful Christmas present he had given me this past season that carried significant personal meaning.
Prior to Christmas, while my husband and I were shopping I spotted the present he gave me. My attention, however, was focused on an item sitting beside it that was perfect for my sister-in-law. My husband told me that when he went back to purchase my gift, the sales lady expressed relief and happiness. She said that when the item was set out for display, she had hoped he would see it and buy it, as she knew that it and I were perfectly suited. She was right, and her observation indicates an intimate knowledge of me personally and compliments me in a unique and endearing manner.
While listening at the seminar, the facilitator’s message encouraged my thoughts toward one’s purpose in life. It became clear to me that one’s direction or work should be correlated with one’s purpose, or as my friend had stated, “one’s calling in life.” How wonderful it must be to work in what you are driven to accomplish. One often hears, “If you love what you do, you’ll never work a day in your life.” I have always felt that 98% of what I do in a day is out of responsibility, while the remaining 2% leaves me wondering if it will ever pay off.
I responded to my friend’s post that funeral service is as rewarding and fulfilling as daycare ever was. Her compliment, however, was aimed at writing. I continued that although I truly love funeral service, writing does not come to me easily. I lament over it every week. Continue Reading →